Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Firewall

Eh. Just a movie. Harrison Ford plays a computer genius (I don't buy it, he couldn't even fix the Millenium Falcon), whose family is held hostage, while he is forced to hack into bank files against his will. I've seen the same plot done a lot more cleverly, and I felt it was a waste of Ford's talent.

While the movie does add a few new elements, it also takes some liberties with reality. Okay, the average Joe won't know which stuff is really possible, and to be completely honest neither do I... but I will say that when my IT guy at work saw it, he couldn't stop laughing.

Ford does a great job as usual. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but he's also showing his age. They did a good job by not making him a normal guy - unable to jump off roofs and keep running, or use kung fu moves on the bad guys. I might add that he was one of the clumsiest characters I've seen in a serious movie.

Maybe I'm just getting more jaded as I get older, but the foreshadowing was too obvious... Early in the movie Ford picks up a toy car's remote control, and notices that it's signal interferes with the TV signals in the house. Hey, you think that might come in useful later?

Bottom line, I'm not sorry I saw it. It wasn't flat-out stupid, or boring, or a waste of time. But I will have forgotten all about it within a few days.

No comments: