Monday, April 10, 2006

Slither

Depending on your point of view, this is either one of the greatest bad movies ever made, or just one of the worst movies ever made. Given my love of bad horror movies, you can probably guess which way I feel. It's every bit as dumb as the trailers made it out to be; but I loved every minute of it. Take some of the funniest unintentionally-funny classic horror films, add lots of intentional humor, and better special effects, and you'll see what I mean. Kind of like "Eight-Legged Freaks" or to a lesser extent "Tremors", but I liked this one better. It felt like what Tim Burton was trying to do with "Mars Attacks", only with a funnier script.

I usually hate it in horror movies when they're able to kill all the aliens by just killing the leader. "The Faculty" for instance. But in this movie it actually made sense, because the movie keeps reminding you that all the worms are just extensions of the head alien, who controls the minds of all the infected humans. That's especially cool because in an intentionally-bad movie such as this one, things really didn't need to make sense.

Anyway, you can probably tell from the previews alone if this is your cup of tea. I know not many people share my love of bad sci-fi/horror, whether intentionally-bad or not. So, to paraphrase Abraham Lincoln, "If you are the type of person who likes that sort of thing, then that's the sort of thing you will like."

No comments: