Sunday, January 06, 2019

Life Is Strange - Chapter 3 (Spoilers)

Warning: This blog entry contains spoilers for episode 3 of Life is Strange.

I find Max's use of time travel to teleport to be a little inconsistent.  So she blew the lock to enter the principal's office.  Once inside, she rewound time to restore the lock, while remaining in the room.  So does she always stay in the same place while using her powers?  I can think of several instances where something bad happened, then I moved a bit before rewinding.  People should notice Max teleporting all the time.

It was cool sneaking around school at night, looking for evidence.  But taking a midnight swim seemed unnecessarily risky.  It's so weird what things you get a choice about, and what things your character just does on her own.  I'm in control when I convince Chloe not to steal the school's charity money, but then Max just agrees on her own when Chloe suggests visiting the pool.  It was a great scene, but I'm just astounded that Max agreed to something that put them in such a vulnerable position.

Hiding from David in the locker room made me feel like I was playing Metal Gear for a second.  It was fun, but I'm glad they didn't draw it out any longer.  It would have been too much of a genre shift.

The kissing scene was a cute tease.  At the moment, all I really know about the game's ending is the final choice, but I don't know what leads up to it.  So while I would like to see Max and Chloe become more than just friends, I also know we're only a couple of days away from the superstorm, so I don't know how much time the game will devote to their relationship.  But if I do get to choose between a romance with Chloe or Warren, I will definitely choose Chloe.  Poor Warren, he seems like a nice guy.

I'm starting to wonder about the "once per episode" saving Alyssa from getting hit by random objects.  Is it just a running gag, or will it be important later?  Is she going to figure out I have some sort of power?  Is the extra waste of my power going to drain me prematurely at a critical time?

I love how it gave me a choice when distracting Frank's dog with a treat - "Throw it in the parking lot" or "Throw it in the street".  Sometimes I intentionally pick the less desirable choice first, just so I can see it before rewinding and picking the one I want to stay with.  But there was no way I was going risk getting a dog run over, not even if I intended to rewind.  What if I get the poor pup killed, and then find my powers stop working again?  He's not a bad dog, he's just doing his job.

The cliffhanger at the end of Chapter 3... just wow.  I saved Chloe's dad but now Chloe's in poor health.  It reminds me of that "Butterfly Effect" movie.  I can't wait to find out what happened.



No comments: